Powered by WebAds

Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Lubavitcher Rebbe zt"l's view on the Six Day War and 'land for peace' was more than you have probably heard

Shavua tov from Boston, a good week to everyone.

This evening, I found in my email a pdf from Zvi S with three pages of Joseph Telushkin's new book Rebbe, a biography of the Lubavitcher Rebbe. In the three pages (275-77), Telushkin discusses the Rebbe's views on the Six Day War and 'land for peace.'

I knew - as I am sure many of you did - that the Rebbe opposed 'land for peace.' He did not believe in it. He even opposed the return of the Sinai as part of the peace treaty with Egypt - which I forgot or may not have known.

But what I really didn't know was that in 1967, he felt Israel should have expelled all the Arabs of Judea and Samaria. He felt that during war time, and given the Arabs' continuing threats to annihilate Israel, such an action would have been understandable (and as I have described many times, the Arabs may even have expected it).

Makes this Litvak misnaged (non-Hassid) want to go out and buy the book.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Sunlight said...

Telushkin is one of my favorite writers. Decades ago, I read his book, Jewish Literacy, as a daily reader. Wonderful. I got this Rebbe book the week it came out and need to find time to read it!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger InMemoryOf Yossi said...

It's a really good book, but that's coming from a Lubav. I also didn't know that the Rebbe wanted the Arabs kicked. (Didn't finish it yet, I'm reading too many books at one time.)

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger StevenInBrooklynNY said...

It's a great book. Wait, people comment here?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google