Powered by WebAds

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The guy who taught me it's okay to support a Republican

I think I have mentioned before that while both of my parents were staunch supporters of Israel, they also consistently voted Democrat.

This morning, George McGovern, the 1972 Democratic nominee for President passed away at the age of 90. That election was the first time that I (then too young to vote) split from my parents. I could not support McGovern, because I felt that he would throw Israel down the river.

My parents responded that Nixon was a crook (their legacy from the 1950's) and that they would not vote for a crook.

I said that even if Nixon is a crook, at least he was our crook.

Who was right? Well, imagine if McGovern had been President during the Yom Kippur War. Would it have been worse than Nixon? Probably....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google